Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Perfect Moment

This past Sunday I sat snugly on our hand-me-down couch.  I had a new baby in my arms; I was warm; I was looking out a big window at gentle snow falling in the mountains in which we have settled; our house was full with family and we all happened to be in the same room; Francesca was snuggled in with her cousin and they were both laughing and Lilian too was laughing which was music to my ears as she had been sick for three days.

And I thought to myself, "this moment right here is perfect."  Directly after I experienced this moment and had a wave of relaxation and freedom wash over me, my heart felt grateful for the fact that I was present enough to experience this gentle storm of ordinary moments.  My goal now is to notice or rather allow myself to experience one "perfect moment" a day.

I write this, mind you, after a morning replete with difficult moments...tears, literal grasping (aka grabbing), whining, pulling, moments of not knowing what to say or do or think.  But it is precisely because of the challenges of everyday life that the recognition of ordinary perfection becomes like a life preserver in such gusty and uncertain waters.


No comments:

Post a Comment