Friday, April 3, 2015

Pathways of Positivity

The middle of the night can be oh so many things.  The sweetness of picking up a babe.  The tired eyes and shock of crying.  And, at times, it can be vicious.

Last night was one of those nights for me.  My mind was triggered by something I read and bam, I was down for the count.  Reflecting back, I can't believe the negative spiral that my mind journeyed on . . . one negative thought was an open doorway to the next and soon I was swimming in a sea of past regrets, mistakes and general ill will towards none other than myself.  I could "see" this happening and at one point was saying to myself, "do we really need to go into this?  I don't feel like thinking about this right now!" But the ego mind is unrelenting and the spiral continued down, down, down . . .

Until just this smidgen of awareness allowed me to arrest myself and employ some of the most precious tools that I have been collecting over the years.  I was able to grab hold of myself as a friend would and say, "this is unacceptable; this is no way to treat a friend."  And I took out my mantra tool and began.  I searched for a mantra that was suitable for this moment and even this act brought relief.  And then the mantra came: "I am love."  I said it over and over and over and began to create a new pathway for my thoughts: a pathway of positivity and loving-kindness.

My soul began to heal from the shame spiral that I had spun out on and I drifted back into sweet sleep.  This morning I was grateful for one thing: that I have befriended myself and my commitment to fostering this friendship is renewed yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment