Thursday, November 21, 2013

Cute Man

Last night I was sitting on the floor drinking a glass of wine in the almost dark as Francesca turned around from her room with this final advice for the day: "Don't forget he's cute.  You should get him a drink." 

Now, I do see where she got the "cute" from . . .this past weekend, Matt and Francesca were laying on the couch together and I was leaving on some sort of "radical self-care" expedition.  Before I left (with the unique blend of excitement and calm that radical self care breeds) I squeezed Matt's cheeks together and said something to the effect of, "look at this cute man.  Do you see this cute man?"  In pure form, Francesca, with delight, requested that I do this three more times before I left.  I happily obliged. 

In terms of the "get him a drink"...well, I am not sure where that comes from but I am just going to take it for what it was: light and funny and, well, cute coming from a three year old. 

It is so easy to get tangled in the web of daily tasks that our home turns into a boardroom with never ending task lists and constant negotiations; no room left for the fun and lift that comes from even the simplest spontaneity.  And we are all exhausted, but for what? 

So sometimes the dishes must remain in the sink and the laundry must remain unfolded to allow the fun to peek through because it is the energy of love and laughter, fun and creativity that make it all worth it.  For all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment