Monday, September 16, 2013

Peering Through the Window of my Life

There are a two hotels near Bagels, Etc. (where I now get coffee and write every morning): one right next door and one directly across the street.  This makes for some interesting early morning coming and goings.  This morning, I saw a little family packing up to leave the hotel.  The mom and dad passed the little guy - probably about six or seven months old - between them.  It was not quite dawn and he still had his pajamas on.  In the instant I saw the mom holding the baby, I longed for him.  Or for my baby sleeping at home, or another baby altogether.  I longed for baby.

I investigated the feeling as I found it odd to long for something that I already have - full on, six month babe - just a block away.  Since we do spend much of our days together and have hardly been separated in the past six months, I thought it is quite possible that I missed her.  But I also wondered if seeing this baby was a reminder that someday, in the not too far future, I will miss this sweet spot of my life.  And I felt gratitude towards this family as they drove away into the rising sun of the day and I thanked them in my heart for allowing me to peer through the window of my own life and recognize the dream that I am already living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment