Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wonder

I was listening to this podcast the other night (I do a lot of this lately when I am washing the dishes or folding the laundry; I highly recommend it; my favorites are: "Ted Radio Hour" and "This American Life") and a film director was speaking and this is what he said about his most fundamental goal: to give people a sense of wonder.  That, as humans, this is what we all long for and if you fill in too many blanks in movies, we feel unsatisfied; that we actually like to use our minds to put the pieces together.  he then tied this to babies - that this is one reason that we all like to be with babies so much and we often can't take our eyes off of them even though they may not be doing too much.  Because we don't know what they are thinking; we have to fill in the blanks and create a story around their wondrous eyes. 

My gratitude expanded as I recognized the gift of this year; this year of wonder with my baby as my guru.  As my second baby, I am also cognizant of the finite period of time that babyhood actually is; a thin slice of life.  And so, perhaps, I embrace it more fully without too much worry in my heart to bog me down.  And still I am reminded to not get weighed down by the details: the diapers, clothes, schedules, sleep loss (this, undoubtedly the hardest) and remember to look into the eyes of my babe; to look into the eyes of wonder. 

So, if you can, spend some time with a baby.  They are good to have around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment